Anyone who has suffered a workplace injury or accident should schedule an initial appointment with a worker’s compensation attorney. To assist prospective clients in evaluating their claims, most workers’ compensation attorneys provide free or low-cost consultations. Keep reading to learn how to best prepare for this meeting and then contact The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker at 800-333-0000 to set up a free legal consultation.
What to bring to your initial consultation
Bring the following materials to your first meeting:
- Witnesses’ contact information
- Emails and documents
- Records of medical care
- Photos or video footage
- Pay stubs and records of employment
- Accident reports and notices of claims
Meeting with an attorney may help you determine the strengths and weaknesses of your case, as well as provide insight into the professional’s approach and expertise.
Ask about their areas of expertise
Workers’ compensation is a unique practice area in which lawyers must deal with a complicated administrative structure. You should try to identify an attorney who routinely handles these types of matters and has experience that is relevant to your circumstance. Their major concentration should be on worker compensation, and they should have a track record in this area. Inquire about their practice by asking questions.
- How long have you been in the industry?
- Have you dealt with any other workers’ compensation cases?
- Is workers’ compensation your main area of expertise?
- Will you be personally handling my case?
- Who is accessible to respond to my inquiries?
Ask about the specifics of your claim
An attorney can give you a clearer sense of what to expect as the case progresses after analyzing the facts of your claim. Lawyers can assess your case, explain the benefits of settling, and understand any state legislation that may impact your entitlement to compensation. The following questions can help you have a better understanding of the claims procedure.
- What types of benefits am I eligible for?
- How long will it take for my workers’ compensation claim to be resolved?
- Accepting a settlement or scheduling a hearing: which is preferable?
- How much time do I have before I have to go on to the next step?
Find out how they handle potential obstacles
Some workers’ compensation lawyers will go to any length to assist clients and their families in obtaining compensation. If you’re worried about how you’ll be able to maintain your family and pay for medical treatment while you’re unable to work, an attorney can help. Here are some questions to ask to see if the attorney will fight for you.
- What can I do if my company isn’t covered by workers’ compensation?
- What options do I have if I can’t afford medical treatment?
- If my claim is refused, may I submit an appeal?
- Is it possible for me to continue getting benefits once I return to work?
- Is it mandatory for me to accept lower-paying job if I’m injured?
By asking these and other essential questions, you will get a good idea during your consultation of whether or not the attorney you are speaking with is the right choice. Call The Law Offices of Larry H. Parker now at 800-333-0000 to set up a consultation.